Although it is still technically July, I am already beginning to crave those delicious fall flavors: cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg, apple, spice, etc. I personally love muffins. However, I refuse to buy them in the store and at bakeries because they are FILLED with extra sugars and calories that I do not need. By making your own food, the food that you love, you are able to monitor exactly what you are putting into your body and therefore you are baking and cooking with love. I made this muffin recipe this afternoon for a mid-afternoon snack while my friends are I are cheering on the USA in the Olympics. Muffins are a portion friendly idea, with each muffin coming in at around 100 calories.
1 cup dry old-fashioned oatmeal flakes
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup almond milk
2 egg whites, beaten
1 packet ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp baking Powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup splenda
1 fresh apple
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together applesauce and almond milk in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg whites together and then mix them into the large bowl.
- Add in your flax-seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and Splenda– Mix until smooth.
- Slowly blend in the flour.
- Blend in the oatmeal.
- Skin 1 apple and cut into chucks. You can make the chunks are small or large as you like but the size of a dime or so is what I like to do. Add into the batter.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin holders and place into the oven.
- Bake for 15 min at 350 degrees or until golden brown at the top.
I hope you enjoy this delicious taste of apple cinnamon spice that will get you ready for fall. Remember to always be happy, be healthy, and be yourself!